There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
1 John 4:18
Fear causes anxiety, dread, alarm, fright, panic, and terror. It causes all kinds of unpleasant emotions, phobias, neurosis, and even the more serious psychotic disorders. The torment of fear is one of the worst problems faced by humans. Fear means that a person is not made perfect in love.
- The person is not fully grasping (perfected) the love and care of God for them.
- The person is not loving other people like they should; they are not growing more and more in love. Their eyes are upon themselves, not upon God and others like they should be.
In summary, fear can be driven out only by the perfect love of God. The more we know of God’s love and care and the more we love other people, the more fear is conquered in our lives. The reason is clearly seen in the promises of God. God loves us so much that He will take care of us through all the trials and temptations of life, no matter what they are.
- Are you grasping the love and care God has for you?
- What does it look like for you to love other people?
- Do you believe that if you loved other people more and more, that your fears could be conquered?
- Take time to pray for the Lord’s love to overflow out of you; that you would grow more and more in love. Pray for the strength to love even the hardest of people.